Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday, May 31, 2012

DIY Ribbon Wands

Hey everyone...a month from now I will be Mrs. Gobble. I am super excited. Mainly for the honeymoon. Does that sound bad? I am happy to get married, a little scared to have my life change in such a big way, but so happy to have this next adventure with my best friend.

Now on to some money saving stuff. So, everyone probably knows that I took on this ribbon wand project as one of the feature items for my Ribbon in the Sky wedding theme. I got an Oriental Trading magazine in the mail, well actually John got it in mail and I looked at it. I was looking through and guess what I saw. Ribbon Wands. They were $17.00 for a pack of 24. I couldn't believe it. These things are getting pretty popular. I think I am ahead of the trend. Anyway I will compare their unit price to the price that I am spending on all my materials as well as give a quick run down on how easy it is to make them for cheap.

Here is the stuff  that I bought/used for my wands...


Ribbon: $3.93/100 yards on papermart.com. I will need 800 yards to complete 400 wands.
Grilling Skewers: $.99 for a pack of 100. I am gluing two skewers together so I need 8 packs.
Scissors: already have
Hot Glue Gun: Already Have
Measuring Tape: Already Have

DIY Unit Price: $.10 per wand
Oriental Trading Unit Price: $.70 per wand

That a pretty big savings. I am pretty proud of myself. I think that my time is worth $240. Sheesh. Well, they are pretty easy to make. Just take your skewers, and glue two of them together to make them stronger and make sure they don't break when people wave them around. I cut off the pointy side once I glue them together. 

Cut the ribbon to the desired length (I used a foot and a half) and then glue as many as you want to one end of the sticks. I am using three in my wedding colors of light blue, silver and white.


Then wrap the skewers with another strip of ribbon. This will make it stronger as well as hide the skewers and make them prettier.


My finished product looks like this:


They are really easy to make and it will take you a lot less time then me because I am making 400 of these. They are a lot cheaper than bubbles, and they're no mess no fuss unlike throwing rice. 

I love these and I hope that I can get some cute pictures of people waving them. I have a couple more DIY projects that I need to start along with these. I finished the wedding programs and now need to print them. I've gotta go out and buy the fabric for my veil and make that. Things are coming together slowly but surely. 

I hope this helps out some other DIY brides and that you find as much joy in making your day as beautiful as you would like it to be. Save those pennies brides and remember what this is all about. Your and your future husband making a life together. 





1 comment: