Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday, July 14, 2011

My Top Ten Penny Saving Tips in Five Days (3/5)

Hey penny savers. I hope everyone is enjoying your week. Mine is going ok. Well here we go tips five and six. Just a reminder these are in my experience some of the best ways to save money on a wedding.


5. Extreme or not so Extreme Couponing: I have to admit. I am cheap. I'm not ashamed of if because I, for the most part, have just about everything I could need and am content. I also have to admit that I am fascinated with people who take the time to clip coupons and save tons of money at the store. I soooo want to be that person. When I get married and have to shop for a family, I am definitely going to start. But, how can you use coupons for wedding stuff? Well, I'm glad you asked. This goes back to your DIY projects. Trust me, your favorite stores will become Michael's and Joann Fabrics. They have tons of great DIY project supplies. Since you will have to buy stuff here anyway, take the time to find some coupons for these stores specifically. If you plan on doing your own invitations, find coupons for the store you are buying your paper from. I google searched "Michael's coupons" and quite a few 50% off ones came up. Be careful though, know the stores' coupon policy, but for the most part this is an easy way to save money on things you already need. I almost forgot about those bridesmaid gifts. A lot of department stores put coupons in the paper. Don't forget to check for coupons before you go shopping for you bridesmaids. Once again, you are already buying stuff, so why not save some money with a coupon.


6. Be Careful When Bundling Services: I know it might seem super great to have everything bundled together in one price. For example reception venue, invitations, or your ceremony site. Now, I am kinda lazy when it comes to this because I really don't want to be bothered with doing everything myself on those last few days. I just want to give them a picture of what I want and go with it. I am not the shining example of this tip, but I know some brides who made it work. If your feel comfortable with finding a reception venue who will let you bring food, decorations, beverages, etc and you know some people or have DIY projects in mind go for it. If you find out their bundled price is more than your individual contacts would give you, don't bundle. Same with invitations. Many companies charge a lot for their time and that can save you money if you would like to spend your time (which is free for the most part). This goes both ways sometimes though. So, that is why I said be careful. You have to do your research. The professionals knows what they are doing too. They have to run a business, so they research how much caterers cost and they can give you a good deal. I think i did pretty good with my reception bundled price. If you are doing everything yourself, remember tip 5 go shopping for supplies armed with coupons. I know one of my friends had a coupon for pop a couple months before her wedding and went during a major holiday weekend when pop was sure to be on sale, took her coupons and stocked up for her reception. It can be done.

Well like I said before, I can go on and on when it comes to saving money. The theme for this post is research, research, research. Find coupons and compare prices. It takes a little time, but if you do a two year engagement you have that time. Enjoy your day and save those pennies.

No comments:

Post a Comment